Thursday, November 13, 2008

Got Love?

In building legacies for our families it's possible to get caught up in chasing after those things that are not eternal, that, to human sight are beautiful and valuable, but in the end will not last. While those things are some of the enjoyments of living here on earth, priority is important. So I thought it might be helpful to mention the most basic of all legacies you'll pass down to your family: Love.



The King James Bible refers to love as "charity". I'm sure you've heard the verses in I Corinthians before, but, this time, really let them speak to you! See just how essential it is to the Lord that we have this basic ingredient as the foundation of all we say and do, and then ask Him to show you the areas that you need to better apply this. Most importantly, ask Him to fill you with this kind of love! If you are a Christian, it is readily available to you upon your asking in faith!:




Though I speak with the tongues of mean and of angels,

and have not charity,

I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy,

and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge;

and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains,

and have not charity,

I am nothing.


and though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,

and though I give my body to be burned,

and have not charity,

it profiteth me nothing
.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind;

Charity envieth not;

charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Charity never faileth; but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;

whether there be tongues, they shall cease;

whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away...

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three;

but the greatest of these is charity.



I Corinthians 13: 1-8, 13





Oh, how many times I've focused on the doing of things for my family...but it was not grounded in charity (love)! My motivations were fulfilling what I ought to do, or being able to check one more thing off my "to do" list! I did these things out of selfishness, not love! It really hit me when I read that I could even be a martyr for my faith, but if I did not do it in LOVE, it would profit me nothing! That's a pretty clear statement that our motives, our drive, is of extreme importance to our Lord!



I pray that each one of you reading Domestic Legacies would have a burning love in your hearts first toward the Lord and that that love would spill over abundantly into your relationships with your husband, your children, and with everyone you meet! I pray that love would translate into action, and not be mere sentiment! THAT is a legacy worth placing at the top of our priority list!



Copyright 2008 Domestic Legacies

No comments: