Friday, November 14, 2008

He Said, She Said- Noting Memorable Quotes from Our Children

Children can say some of the sweetest things, can't they? Their naivete and innocence lend to some incredibly entertaining, and sometimes deep thoughts! How many times one of my children have said something especially adorable, and I thought to myself, "I'm going to remember that...", only to forget days, or even hours later!

I read somewhere awhile ago an idea which has helped lessen the number of times a memorable quote out of the mouths of one of my babes has escaped my memory, and I want to share it with you! It's as simple as keeping a notepad and pen out--just for the purpose of jotting down a precious saying, as soon as it's spoken! My notepad is in the kitchen where it is easily within reach. While it's still on my mind, I'll run and jot down what I want to remember. Sometimes it's a short sentence, and sometimes it's a part of a conversation my child and I have had.I include what I have said and what my child has said. I make sure to include the name and age of the person whose quote I am writing down. That sounds too simple, but having the ability to write--the pen and paper is right there, HAS enabled me to just go do it while it's on my mind! I also use my notepad to jot down other immediate things, like a phone number or grocery item, but I keep those special quotes, for the most part, on separate pages so I can tear them out and file them all together.

With my file of quotes, I began a journal of sorts on the computer. I not only type out the quote, but sometimes also give a little background to the conversation or write a quick memento or accomplishment the child had achieved. (So-and-so just lost his first tooth...she is becoming quite a reader....he has been helping his daddy with ...) I am quite behind on typing out all the quotes, but, because I have them together in the file with names and ages, it shouldn't be too difficult to catch up, if I can just get a chance to sit down and do it!

There are other things you can do with some of the extra special quotes you collect. Using a nice font on your computer, print out a sweet quote and perhaps add a nice snapshot of the child. Find a small frame for the printout and you have unique gift idea for grandparents! The Dollar Store often has some nice frames for very little money.

I encourage you to jot down those memorable quotes and conversations you have with your children. I regret the many sweet things my oldest said years ago that have long escaped my memory! May you and your family create a legacy of precious quotes with which to reminisce in the years to come!

Copyright 2008 Domestic Legacies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I try to get things jotted into my journal. I have thought of getting one for each child, but that can be cumbersome.

ScottsHelper said...

Renae, for me, it's as simple as just putting the child's first initial beside the quote, their age and the date. But, if I had plans to keep that notebook and not recopy the things I write, then I'd be more likely to do a neater job when I jot things down! Glad you stopped by!