Thursday, November 13, 2008

Journal For Two- Journaling With Your Children

The idea of a journal sometimes conjures up images of secrecy and private thoughts (perhaps negative) meant to be shared with no one else, and kept under lock and a tiny key. But, a few weeks ago I heard an idea that leads to just the opposite of keeping hidden secrets. It was that of journaling with your children. ...Now THAT sounds like a legacy in the making!...

Taking out a crisp, clean notebook, all full of potential, I thoughtfully wrote a note to my daughter on the first page. I told her this notebook was just for the two of us, to write letters back and forth, and that we could write about anything and everything we wanted: something we thought was funny, a struggle we're dealing with, a crazy thought, our hopes, our dreams... In her note back to me she told me she loved the idea, and we've continued to write back and forth since that day.

My daughter and I agreed we'd write when we had something we wanted to say. It's not a daily requirement. It is a special way for us to communicate together. I vowed to myself this journal would not be a place to criticize or "preach" to my daughter in any way. She will not be the only one opening her heart, I want her to know my heart too!

I'm so thankful for the close relationship my daughter and I share. But, perhaps one day, as she matures, there will be things she'll want to tell or ask me that she will be better able to express in writing. This journal is one more way to open up lines of communication between us. Without a doubt, this Journal for Two will be treasured for years to come!

Do you and your children journal together? We'd love to hear your stories about it! If you've just read this and want to start a Journal for Two, let us know what happens! I pray it will draw you and your children even closer together!

ScottsHelper Copyright 2008 Domestic Legacies

No comments: