Thursday, November 13, 2008

What You'd Give for a Good Night's Rest!

Over the years of taking care of little ones, especially babies, there have been many nights I have not slept well, with getting up in the night to nurse, or answering the cry of a little one who's had a bad dream, potty training at nighttime, or just paying too much attention to the baby monitor with a newborn...hearing every little sound! Can you relate, sleep-deprived mamas? It's usually easier to be cheerful and on top of things when you're well rested, and I hope this post will help some of you achieve that!


Here's what I've found that helps me sleep more soundly...you'll laugh at how simple it is, but for me, it really works! It has been determined scientifically that a dark sleep environment is best for good quality sleep, but that is not always possible to achieve, especially when travelling, or when your family likes to use a nightlight! So, I have my own personal room darkener--a sleep mask! Mine is not the light, silky kind you might be picturing, that lets in a lot of light. It is quite padded with an adjustable velcro strap for a good fit. I take this thing everywhere, as I have found it so much easier to fall asleep and sleep well when I am sleeping in the dark!


My sleep mask is about worn out, I've used it so much, and thinking I might not be able to find another one like it, I searched for sleep masks online and found several good quality masks for under $10. I even found one that does not smash your eyes, to allow for comfort and better REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement). I'll have to decide whether to buy another one just like the one I have, or to try a new kind! I would recommend, whichever type of mask you choose, to find one in black. That way you'll get the best light absorbsion around your eyes where the light can sometimes leak in.


My sleep mask has a little pocket in front which holds earplugs. When my husband is home and is able to listen out for the children at night while sleeping, I'll sometimes wear these. Since I'm on "duty" as a mom 24 hours a day, this is a wonderful way to go into my own little, relaxing retreat while sleeping, with the comfort in knowing my husband will wake me up if the children need me. If I do need to keep an ear out at night, sometimes I'll just wear one earplug (I know, crazy me!) and will be able to block out some sound, while st ill being able to hear someone call.


I hope some of you will take my suggestion and try using a face mask. If you are able to study the design of some of the better ones, it might not be too hard to sew your own (though I do recommend something thicker and more padded than the old sild kind, but you may find it works just fine!) I know being a mother can mean many sleepless nights, but these days are not forever...and how worth it our children are! Here's to contentedly sleeping babies and sweet dreams to you!


Copyright 2008 Domestic Legacies

No comments: